Skip to content
- 2 boxes Chicken Broth
- 1 1/2 tbsp reduced sodium soy sauce
- 12 coriander seeds
- 12 cumin seeds
- 4 whole cloves
- 3 sprigs mint
- 2 cinnamon sticks
- 1 lime wedge, cut into 8 wedges
- 1/2 lb boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 6 oz thin rice noodles (rice vermicelli)
- 6 oz matchstick-cut uncooked snow peas (2 cups/500 mL)
- 1 cup matchstick-cut uncooked carrots
- Combine broth,soy sauce,coriander,cumin,cloves,2 mint sprigs,cinnamon,4 lime wedges and chicken,in large saucepan. Heat to a boil. Reduce heat to low.
- Cover and simmer until chicken is fully cooked – about 15 minutes,stirring occasionally. Remove chicken,slice and keep warm.
- Strain broth to remove seasoning pieces and return broth to saucepan. Heat to a boil. Cook noodles in broth for 2 minutes,to soften and loosen.
- Divide noodles among 4 noodle or soup bowls and top each with portion of chicken and vegetables. Pour hot broth immediately over each bowlful. Garnish with lime wedge and mint leaf.
- For a great alternative to chicken,replace it with shrimp or firm tofu. Since shrimp cooks quickly,add it later on in the simmer time so that it will be just cooked at the end of the 15 minute simmer.
- An equal amount of other fresh,thinly-cut vegetables works well here,too. Be creative and let the season guide you. If using bean sprouts,precook them well.
- 4 lb Beef shin with bones or 2 medium oxtails, cut up.
- 1 md Onion, unpeeled
- 5 Slices fresh ginger
- 1 Piece star anise
- 1 t Salt
- 2 1/2 tb Chinese fish sauce
- 1 Bundle medium Chinese vermicelli
- Boiling water
- 1/2 lb Leftover cooked sirloin (or beef tenderloin or eye chuck), thinly sliced
- 3 Scallions, chopped
- Fresh cilantro sprigs
- Fresh chiles, sliced
- Boil beef (with bones) or oxtails in 3 qts cold water. Skim off foam and fat. Cover and simmer for 4 hours.
- Broil onion until flesh is soft, turning often. Peel. Add onion, ginger, anise, salt, and fish sauce to beef broth just before it has finished simmering.
- Also just before beef broth finishes simmering, drop vermicelli into a pot of boiling water. Cook 8 minutes, remove from water, rinse in cold water, and drain.
- Divide vermicelli into three equal portions and place in 3 individual serving bowls.
- Divide beef into 3 equal portions and place on top of vermicelli in the bowls. Garnish each bowl with scallions and 2 or 3 fresh cilantro sprigs.
- Strain broth, reserving beef and flavorings. Pour one cup broth over contents of each bowl. Sprinkle with pepper and chiles. Serve immediately.
- Reserved beef, flavorings, and extra broth can be eaten separately