Skip to content
- 12 lb Turkey
- 2 lb Mixed dried fruit
- 1 c Golden raisins
- 4 ea Granny Smith apples,
- 4 ea Oranges, juice from
- 1 cn (92.5 oz) chilies chipotles
- 3 c Tequila
- 3 c Grand Marnier
- 2 ea Sticks unsalted butter-cut into 1-inch wedges
- Preheat oven to 325~F. Rinse turkey and pat dry inside and out. Set aside.
- Combine dried fruit, raisins, and apples in a medium-size bowl. Put orange juice and chiles (with sauce that clings to them) into a blender or food processor and process for 1 minute. Add 1 cup each of tequila and Grand Marnier, then pour the mixture over the fruit and let rest 15 minutes.
- Drain the fruit, reserving the liquid. Cut half the butter into 1/2-inch pieces and combine with the fruit. Stuff cavity of the turkey with most of the fruit. Place the turkey in a roasting bag, arrange remaining fruit on top of the bird and pour reserved orange juice-liquor mix over it. Combine remaining tequila and Grand Marnier. Have ready a basting syringe fitted with a metal injection nozzle and inject the mixture all over the turkey.
- Melt remaining butter and carefully pour over the turkey in the roasting bag. Seal bag and cut 1/4-inch slit on the top to let steam escape. Place in a roasting pan and roast for 2 1/2 hours. Every 30 minutes open bag (being careful to shield your face from steam) and inject more liquor, eventually using it up. When ready to serve, slit open bag, arrange turkey on a platter, and scoop out the fruit stuffing. Place all the fruit in a serving bowl. Strain the juices that have accumulated in the bag, skim off any fat, and serve in a gravy boat.