Create a nacho grilled cheese buffet by setting all the ingredients out, and letting people choose the toppings they like. Or create mini grilled cheese by cutting them into little squares, making them perfect for dipping in salsa, sour cream or guacamole. To cook for a large group, use the oven at 450°F (230ºC), cooking for about 6 minutes on each side.
- 2 slices French bread
- 1 Tbsp sour cream
- 2 Tbsp salsa
- Tex Mex cheese
- 2 – 3 Tbsp cooked ground beef
- ⅛ tsp taco seasoning
- 1 stalk green onion, chopped
- 4 – 5 cilantro leaves
- 1 slice tomato, diced
- ¼ avocado, diced
- 1 – 2 black olives, chopped
- 1 Tbsp black beans
- 1 – 2 slices jalapeno pepper, chopped
- 1 – 2 handfuls nacho-flavoured Doritos, crumbled
- 1 egg, scrambled
- If you don’t have any ground beef, cook that to your liking first (I just used salt, pepper and garlic). Now let’s start with the sandwich: crush all the Doritos and spread them on a plate, dip one side of each bread slice in the egg and then into the Doritos. Once you’ve done this, begin assembling the sandwich with sour cream on one slice and salsa on the other. Next place a layer of cheese on the bottom slice, then stack on the rest of ingredients and finish with another layer of cheese and your top slice.
- In a pan on medium heat, add some butter. Once that has melted, place your sandwich in, cooking each side until browned and the cheese is melting. You may want to cover your pan with a lid while it’s cooking to help the cheese melt, since there is so much stuff in the sandwich.
- Once everything is ooey gooey, slice it in half and enjoy all your favourite nacho toppings in one glorious sandwich. If you’re feeling ambitious, you can even make your own salsa and guacamole for dipping!
Jordon has been passionate about Beef Stroganoff since he worked at a homeless shelter and they made such a poor version, it could slipped under doors, plate and all. Here is a much heartier version, one that will keep you going all winter long.
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 package (8 oz) sliced baby portabella mushrooms
- 1 cup chopped onions
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 lb lean (at least 80%) ground beef
- 1 1/2 cups beef flavored broth (from 32-oz carton)
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 all-purpose flour
- 1 cup sour cream
- 6 cups cooked egg noodles
- Chopped Italian (flat-leaf) parsley, if desired
- In 10-inch nonstick skillet, melt butter over medium heat. Cook mushrooms, onions and garlic in butter 5 to 7 minutes, stirring occasionally, until tender. Remove from skillet to small bowl; set aside.
- Increase heat to medium-high. In same skillet, cook beef 5 to 7 minutes, stirring frequently, until no longer pink; drain. Stir in 1 cup of the beef broth, the Worcestershire sauce, salt and pepper; heat to boiling. Beat flour and remaining 1/2 cup beef broth with whisk until incorporated; stir into beef mixture. Add mushroom mixture; return to boiling, and stir constantly about 1 minute or until mixture thickens. Remove from heat; stir in sour cream.
- Serve with cooked egg noodles. Garnish with parsley.
Another rich and decadent snack perfect for a cold winter night or to serve up during the big game.
- 1 bag (12 oz) frozen broccoli & cheese sauce
- 1 package (8 oz) cream cheese, softened
- 1/2 cup shredded Cheddar cheese (2 oz)
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- 2 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 1/8 to 1/4 teaspoon ground red pepper (cayenne), if desired
- 4 slices cooked and crumbled bacon
- Crackers, as desired
- Heat oven to 375° F.
- Cook broccoli with cheese sauce as directed on bag. Remove from bag to large bowl. Using kitchen scissors, roughly cut up broccoli. Add cream cheese, half of the Cheddar cheese, the sour cream, mayonnaise, ground red pepper and crumbled bacon. Stir until well combined. Scrape mixture into ungreased ovenproof dish (that will hold at least 2 cups), and place on cookie sheet. Sprinkle top with remaining cheese.
- Bake 20 to 25 minutes or until golden and bubbling. Cool 5 to 10 minutes before digging in.
- Serve with crackers.
If you want a great Christmas morning recipe, this is it. Easy to make and the salmon makes it feel rich. Not only that but it’s a high energy start to a big day.
- 8 eggs
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) milk
- 3 oz (90 g) smoked salmon, chopped
- 2 tsp (10 mL) chopped fresh dill
- salt and white pepper to taste
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) melted butter
- 2 bagels, each cut in half, toasted and lightly buttered
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) low-fat sour cream
- fresh dill sprigs, for garnish
- Beat the eggs and milk in a bowl until blended. Mix in the salmon, dill, salt and pepper.
- Heat the butter in a large, non-stick skillet over medium heat. Pour in the egg mixture. As it begins to set, slowly run a heatproof spatula across the bottom and sides of the skillet to form large, soft curds in the egg mixture. Cook until thick, but still moist, with no visible liquid egg remaining.
- Place a half bagel on each of 4 plates. Top with the egg mixture. Dollop with sour cream and garnish with a dill sprig to serve.
The Grey Cup is tomorrow. This pizza dip is a great snack to serve for big games.
- 1/2 cup cream cheese, softened
- 1/3 cup sour cream
- 1/3 cup mayo
- 1 cup mozzarella cheese, divided
- 1 cup pizza sauce or spaghetti sauce..I like to use either hot and spicy pizza sauce or spicy red pepper spaghetti sauce. Use your favorite.
- 1/3 cup green peppers, chopped
- 1/3 cup pepperoni, chopped
- Beat cream cheese, sour cream and mayo until smooth and creamy. Stir in 1/2 cup mozzarella cheese.
- Spread into a 9″ pie pan.
- Cover with pizza sauce, peppers and the rest of the (1/2 cup) mozzarella cheese.
- Top with chopped pepperoni and bake at 350º for 20 minutes until bubbly and slightly golden.
- Serve hot with tortilla chips.