- 2 tbsp (30 mL) salted butter, softened
- 1 shallot, minced
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) each pulled and chopped fresh savory, sage and thyme leaves, stems reserved
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) chicken broth – 35% Less Sodium
- 1 – 9 lb (4 kg) unstuffed Butter Basted, Young, Grain Fed Turkey, thawed
- Preheat oven to 350°F (180°C). In a small bowl, mix together butter, shallots, garlic, herbs and broth, to create a compound butter. Place the turkey in a roasting pan just big enough to hold it.
- Carefully separate the skin from the breast meat, using your fingers. Place a spoonful of the compound butter under the skin of each breast. Massage on skin side to distribute evenly. Separate the turkey’s leg skin from the flesh and massage butter into each side. Place herb stems in the turkey’s cavity and pat the surface of the skin dry before putting the turkey in the oven.
- Roast for 3 hours, or 20 min. per pound. Using the drippings from the turkey, baste every hour. If the skin starts to get too dark, lightly cover with foil creased in the middle like a tent. To test for doneness, insert a digital thermometer into the thigh without touching the bone. Remove turkey from oven at 175°F (80°C) and let it rest, tented with foil, on a platter while you make the gravy. (Monitor turkey’s internal temperature while resting to ensure that it reaches 180°F/82°C.) Serve and carve tableside.
Tip: For easy carving, remove the entire breast, place it on a carving board and cut the meat across the grain. The sliced turkey looks appealing on the platter and better yet, everyone gets a bite of the flavour-enhanced skin