While in Winnipeg for a meeting with his boss, his boss almost ordered Jordon to check out the Gondola Pizza booth in Winnipeg’s Airport. Jordon was inclined to do it anyways but he took Mike’s advice and after doing it, called me from the Winnipeg Airport to tell me how good his Cheese Burger Pizza was. Here is the ingredients for the pizza crust. I’ve made it several times and I love it each time.
- 5 ml (1 tsp) sugar
- 15 ml (1 envelope) traditional yeast
- 60 ml (1/4 cup) oil
- 310 ml (1 1/4 cups) flour
- 5 ml (1 tsp) salt
- 250 ml (1 cup) lukewarm water
- 375 ml (1 1/2 cups) flour
- 2 ml (1/2 tsp) oregano
- 2 ml (1/2 tsp) pepper
- Combine first five items in a large mixing bowl. Stir in warm water. In a separate bowl, combine remaining ingredients. Add 125 ml (1/2 cup) at a time to the dough. Knead for about 5 minutes and let rest for 20 minutes in a warm room.
- On a well-floured surface, roll dough into a very thin sheet. Cut to fit a pan. Make sure the pan is dry and floured. Freeze for at least three hours.
- To prepare pizza, place toppings on top of your favourite sauce and frozen crust. Make sure the crust is completely frozen. Thawing the crust will result in a soggy or thicker crust. The crust should not be exposed for more than 5 to 10 minutes at room temperature. Bake in 450 F to 550 F (230 to 290 C) oven for 25 to 30 minutes or until done.
Restaurant-style pizza sauce
- 398 ml (14 oz) can Hunt’s Italian tomato sauce
- 1 ml (1/4 tsp) chili powder
- 1 ml (1/4 tsp) garlic powder
- 5 ml (1 tsp) dried oregano leaves (not ground oregano)
Mix together all ingredients thoroughly. Chill covered until needed.
Taste Tester Notes: Nice combination of flavours for a thin-crust pizza and sauce. When mixing the dough, it will seem like there is excess flour, but as you knead it the flour will all be worked in. This makes enough dough for two 12-inch pizzas and more than enough sauce for both. As it is important to bake crust from frozen state, have all of your toppings ready before taking crust out of the freezer. Check before suggested baking time — mine baked in 15 minutes at 450 F. I also tried making the dough using half whole wheat flour with good results.