Skip to content
- 6 slices bacon (6 oz/175 g), cut into bite-size pieces
- 1 carton (900 mL) vegetable broth
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) minced fresh ginger
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) soy sauce
- 1 red or green chili pepper, thinly sliced
- 1/2 pkg (8 oz/227 g) rice noodles (medium thickness)
- 1 cup (250 mL) bean sprouts, to serve
- 1 cup (250 mL) packed fresh basil leaves, to serve
- 1 cup (250 mL) packed fresh cilantro leaves, to serve
- 1 lime, sliced in wedges, to serve
- In large skillet over medium heat, cook bacon, stirring occasionally, until crispy, about 5 min. Set aside on paper towel-lined plate.
- In large saucepan over high heat, mix 4 cups (1 L) water, broth, ginger, soy sauce and chili. Bring to a boil. Add noodles and cook 5 to 6 min., or until al dente.
- Divide noodles and broth among four bowls. Top with bacon, bean sprouts, basil and cilantro. Serve with lime wedges.
- 4 lb Beef shin with bones or 2 medium oxtails, cut up.
- 1 md Onion, unpeeled
- 5 Slices fresh ginger
- 1 Piece star anise
- 1 t Salt
- 2 1/2 tb Chinese fish sauce
- 1 Bundle medium Chinese vermicelli
- Boiling water
- 1/2 lb Leftover cooked sirloin (or beef tenderloin or eye chuck), thinly sliced
- 3 Scallions, chopped
- Fresh cilantro sprigs
- Fresh chiles, sliced
- Boil beef (with bones) or oxtails in 3 qts cold water. Skim off foam and fat. Cover and simmer for 4 hours.
- Broil onion until flesh is soft, turning often. Peel. Add onion, ginger, anise, salt, and fish sauce to beef broth just before it has finished simmering.
- Also just before beef broth finishes simmering, drop vermicelli into a pot of boiling water. Cook 8 minutes, remove from water, rinse in cold water, and drain.
- Divide vermicelli into three equal portions and place in 3 individual serving bowls.
- Divide beef into 3 equal portions and place on top of vermicelli in the bowls. Garnish each bowl with scallions and 2 or 3 fresh cilantro sprigs.
- Strain broth, reserving beef and flavorings. Pour one cup broth over contents of each bowl. Sprinkle with pepper and chiles. Serve immediately.
- Reserved beef, flavorings, and extra broth can be eaten separately
- 225 g beef top sirloin grilling steaks very thinly sliced against the grain
- 1 pkg rice stick noodles (about 1/4 inch/5mm wide), cooked
Vietnamese Beef Broth:
- 2 onions (skin-on), halved
- 3/4 cups chopped fresh ginger (skin-on)
- 6 cloves garlic smashed
- 2 cinnamon sticks
- 4 star anise
- 1 teaspoon each coriander seeds and black peppercorns
- 225 kg beef soup bones
- 1 carrots chopped
- 1 tablespoon fish sauce
- 2 strips lime zest
- 1 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Arrange onions, ginger and garlic on foil-lined rimmed baking sheet; broil until slightly charred, 5 to 7 minutes. Transfer to slow cooker.
- Meanwhile, in small skillet, toast cinnamon sticks, star anise, coriander seeds and peppercorns over medium-high heat, stirring occasionally, until fragrant, about 5 minutes; add to slow cooker along with beef bones, carrot, fish sauce and lime zest. Stir in 10 cups water. Cover and cook on low for 24 hours.
- Skim off fat from surface. Strain broth through cheesecloth-lined sieve into large saucepan; discard solids. Skim off any remaining fat. Bring to boil; stir in salt. Divide steak and noodles among serving bowls; spoon hot broth over top.