- 1 c Julienne strips of cooked beef, veal, or lamb
- 1 c Julienne strips of baked or boiled ham
- 1 tb Minced onion
- 6 tb salad oil
- 2 tb cider vinegar
- 1/2 ts pepper
- 1 t minced parsley
- 1/4 c heavy cream or sour cream
- 1 Hard boiled egg, sliced
- 1 Boiled or pickled beet, sliced
- Mix cut meats with onion. Beat together oil, vinegar, pepper and parsley. Stir cream into dressing. Mix with meats combining lightly. Garnish with sliced egg and beet.
Served as a main dish salad.
Jordon has been passionate about Beef Stroganoff since he worked at a homeless shelter and they made such a poor version, it could slipped under doors, plate and all. Here is a much heartier version, one that will keep you going all winter long.
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 package (8 oz) sliced baby portabella mushrooms
- 1 cup chopped onions
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 lb lean (at least 80%) ground beef
- 1 1/2 cups beef flavored broth (from 32-oz carton)
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 all-purpose flour
- 1 cup sour cream
- 6 cups cooked egg noodles
- Chopped Italian (flat-leaf) parsley, if desired
- In 10-inch nonstick skillet, melt butter over medium heat. Cook mushrooms, onions and garlic in butter 5 to 7 minutes, stirring occasionally, until tender. Remove from skillet to small bowl; set aside.
- Increase heat to medium-high. In same skillet, cook beef 5 to 7 minutes, stirring frequently, until no longer pink; drain. Stir in 1 cup of the beef broth, the Worcestershire sauce, salt and pepper; heat to boiling. Beat flour and remaining 1/2 cup beef broth with whisk until incorporated; stir into beef mixture. Add mushroom mixture; return to boiling, and stir constantly about 1 minute or until mixture thickens. Remove from heat; stir in sour cream.
- Serve with cooked egg noodles. Garnish with parsley.
This is such a great appetizer because it is easy to make yet tastes so amazing. Great to serve as a party appetizer or as a starter for a special meal. Either way, your guests (and you) will love it.
- 16 large fresh mushrooms
- 1 Tbsp. non-hydrogenated margarine
- 2 Tbsp. finely chopped onions
- 1/2 cup Parmesan Grated Cheese
- 2 Tbsp. Roasted Garlic Cream Cheese
- 2 Tbsp. Miracle Whip
- 1/8 tsp. ground black pepper
- 14 Ritz Crackers, finely crushed (about 1/2 cup), divided
- 1 Tbsp. finely chopped fresh parsley, divided
- Heat oven to 350ºF.
- Remove stems from mushrooms; set aside. Use melon baller to carefully scoop small amount of flesh from each mushroom cap. Finely chop removed flesh and stems. Place caps, hollowed-sides up, on parchment-covered rimmed baking sheet.
- Melt margarine in large skillet on medium heat. Add chopped flesh, stems and onions; cook and stir 5 min. or until tender. Remove from heat. Stir in next 4 ingredients and half each of the cracker crumbs and parsley. Use melon baller to portion filling into caps; top with remaining crumbs.
- Bake 25 min. or until heated through; sprinkle with remaining parsley.
The cold winter gives you the perfect excuse to barricade inside, cozy up on the couch, and watch some Netflix. It’s also the best time of the year to pull out the slow cooker for amazing recipes like this Chicken Tikka Masala and make it at home rather than order it in.
- 2 lbs chicken breasts, cut into 1½-inch chunks
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tablespoons grated fresh ginger
- 1 (29 oz.) can of tomato sauce
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon Garam masala
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons ground coriander
- 2 teaspoons paprika
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon cayenne pepper (adjust according to your heat preference)
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 cup / 250 ml heavy cream
- 2 tablespoons arrowroot powder (arrowroot powder acts like cornstarch)
- Juice of ½ lemon
- Grease the inside of your crockpot bowl with a bit of olive oil. Set aside.
- Combine all ingredients (except for bay leaves, heavy cream, arrowroot powder, and lemon juice) in a large bowl. With a large large spatula, stir to combine everything, making sure that the chicken is well coated.
- Pour the mixture into the slow cooker and place the two bay leaves on top.
- Cover and cook for 8 hours on low (or 4 hours on high).
- When done, in a small bowl combine heavy cream and arrowroot powder (or cornstarch), and gently stir into the mixture. Let cook an additional 20 minutes to thicken up.
- Finally add lemon juice and gently stir to incorporate.
- Serve warm.
- Leftovers can be stored in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 5 days.
It’s a classic stew but lentils give it a whole new taste and make it amazing to come home to on a long cold winter evening.
- 1 roasting chicken, cut into 10 pieces (2 wings, 2 drumsticks, 2 thighs and 4 breast pieces) or a large package of any chicken parts
- 2 carrots, chopped
- 2 onions, chopped
- 2 stalks of celery, chopped
- 1 sweet potato, peeled and chopped, or 2 baking potatoes
- 4 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 handful freshly chopped mushrooms
- 1 cup lentils, green, black beluga or French Du Puy
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1 to 2 bay leaves
- 5 cups water
- 1 cup frozen peas
- 1 cup frozen corn
- 1 tsp chopped rosemary or thyme
- Toss chicken pieces into your slow cooker. Top with all the veggies, garlic and lentils. Season with the salt, pepper and bay leaves. Pour in water and mix everything together to ensure the lentils are covered and the flavours are evenly distributed. Cook 8 hours on low.
- Stir in peas, corn and herbs just before serving.
Everyone loves Sloppy Joes and this comfort food can be ready when you are if you put it in the slow cooker to start off your day.
- 3 pounds ground beef
- 2 tablespoons shortening
- 1 cup onion — chopped
- 1 cup celery — diced
- 1 green pepper — chopped
- 1 garlic clove — minced
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 cup ketchup
- 3 beef bouillon cubes — crushed
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 can tomato paste — 6 0z.
- 1 1/4 cups water
- 3 tablespoons vinegar
- 3 teaspoons brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon dry mustard
- Heat shortening in skillet and brown meat, discard fat. Combine all ingredients in removable liner, stirring well. Place liner in base. Cover and cook on low 6-8 hours; or high 3-4 hours
- Serve over warmed burger buns or noodles.