Brussels sprouts bring flavor to cooked bacon in this cheesy side dish, ready in just an hour’s time.
- 1 1/4 lb Brussels sprouts (1 to 1 1/2 inch), cut in half (5 cups)*
- 6 slices bacon, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 tablespoon butter or margarine
- 1 large onion, finely chopped (1 cup)
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme leaves
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 3/4 cup half-and-half
- 2 teaspoons chicken bouillon granules
- 1/3 cup shredded Parmesan cheese
- 1/2 cup shredded Cheddar cheese
- Heat oven to 350°F. In 3-quart saucepan, place Brussels sprouts; add enough water just to cover. Heat to boiling; boil 6 to 8 minutes or until crisp-tender. Drain and return to saucepan; set aside.
- Meanwhile, in 10-inch skillet, cook bacon over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until crisp. Remove bacon with slotted spoon; drain on paper towels and set aside. Drain all but 1 tablespoon bacon fat from skillet.
- Add butter to bacon fat in skillet. Heat over medium-high heat until butter is melted. Add onion; cook 2 to 3 minutes, stirring frequently, until crisp-tender. Add flour, thyme and pepper; cook and stir until well blended. Gradually stir in half-and-half and bouillon granules. Heat to boiling, stirring constantly; boil and stir 1 minute. Remove from heat; stir in Parmesan cheese.
- Pour sauce over Brussels sprouts in saucepan; mix gently. Spoon into 2-quart casserole. Bake uncovered 25 to 30 minutes, sprinkling with crumbled bacon and Cheddar cheese for last 10 minutes of baking, until hot and bubbly.
- 3 cups chunky-style spaghetti sauce
- 2 cups chopped cooked turkey — (10 ounces)
- 1 small zucchini — shredded (1 cup)
- 6 uncooked lasagna noodles
- 1 cup ricotta cheese
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano leaves
- 2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese — (8 ounces)
- Heat oven to 350 F. Mix spaghetti sauce, turkey and zucchini.Spread 1 1/2 cups of this mixture in ungreased rectangular baking dish, 11x7x1/2″. Top with 3 noodles.
- Mix ricotta cheese, Parmesan cheese and oregano; spread over noodles in dish. Spread with 1 1/2 cups of the turkey mixture. Top with remaining noodles and turkey mixture. Sprinkle with mozzarella cheese.
- Bake uncovered about 45 minutes or until hot and bubbly. Let stand 15 minutes before cutting
Makes 8 servings.
Notes: You can replace the ricotta cheese with small curd creamed cottage cheese.
Time Saver: You can cover and refrigerate unbaked lasagna for up to 24 hours, or wrap tightly and freeze for up to 1 month. When ready, bake refrigerated lasagna uncovered as directed in recipe, or bake frozen lasagna, uncovered at 375 F. for about 1 hour.
We love the breadsticks at our local Pizza Hut but with this recipe I can make them at home as an alternative to nachos or ordering in.
- 1 package (6-1/2 ounces) pizza crust mix
- 1-1/2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 cup shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 1/4 cup shredded Parmesan cheese
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- Pizza sauce
- Preheat oven to 450°. Mix pizza dough according to package directions, adding garlic powder to dry mix. Cover; let rest 5 minutes.
- Knead dough 4-5 times or until easy to handle. On a greased baking sheet, press dough into an 8-in. square. Brush top with oil; sprinkle with cheeses and Italian seasoning.
- Bake 6-8 minutes or until cheese is lightly browned. Cut in half; cut each half crosswise into eight strips. Serve with pizza sauce. Yield: 16 cheese sticks.
You don’t have to go to the Staples Centre to get this basketball and hockey night staple. You can make it at home.
- 1 lb. Stouffer’s macaroni and cheese
- 8 cups water
- 1 tbsp. salt
- ½ lb. macaroni pasta
- 2 cups aged sharp cheddar sauce
- ½ lb. shredded Parmesan
- ½ lb. shredded sharp cheddar
- 4 all-beef hot dogs
- 4 Hawaiian hot dog buns
- 2 tbsp. butter
- Yellow mustard
- Bacon crumbles
- Diced onions
- Warm Stouffer’s macaroni and cheese by following instructions on package.
- Pour 8 cups of water into a large saucepan, add salt and bring to a boil.
- Once water is boiling, place macaroni in water and stir occasionally until tender.
- Remove pasta from water and drain.
- Place pasta back in the pan and add sharp cheddar sauce; stir until combined.
- Add shredded sharp cheddar and shredded Parmesan cheese.
- Add warm Stouffer’s macaroni and cheese to pasta mixture.
- Cook hot dogs on flattop/grill.
- Melt butter in a skillet; once melted, place hot dog bun on skillet face up and toast both sides.
- Place cooked hot dog in bun.
- Top with mac and cheese mix, yellow mustard, bacon topping and diced onions.
- Serves four.