- 225 g beef top sirloin grilling steaks very thinly sliced against the grain
- 1 pkg rice stick noodles (about 1/4 inch/5mm wide), cooked
Vietnamese Beef Broth:
- 2 onions (skin-on), halved
- 3/4 cups chopped fresh ginger (skin-on)
- 6 cloves garlic smashed
- 2 cinnamon sticks
- 4 star anise
- 1 teaspoon each coriander seeds and black peppercorns
- 225 kg beef soup bones
- 1 carrots chopped
- 1 tablespoon fish sauce
- 2 strips lime zest
- 1 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Arrange onions, ginger and garlic on foil-lined rimmed baking sheet; broil until slightly charred, 5 to 7 minutes. Transfer to slow cooker.
- Meanwhile, in small skillet, toast cinnamon sticks, star anise, coriander seeds and peppercorns over medium-high heat, stirring occasionally, until fragrant, about 5 minutes; add to slow cooker along with beef bones, carrot, fish sauce and lime zest. Stir in 10 cups water. Cover and cook on low for 24 hours.
- Skim off fat from surface. Strain broth through cheesecloth-lined sieve into large saucepan; discard solids. Skim off any remaining fat. Bring to boil; stir in salt. Divide steak and noodles among serving bowls; spoon hot broth over top.