- ¾ Pound (12 oz.) sharp cheddar cheese
- 1 pkg. (4 oz.) Roquefort cheese
- 1 Clove garlic
- ¾ Cup Coca-Cola
- 2 Tablespoons soft margarine
- 1 Tablespoon grated onion
- 1 ½ Teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 Teaspoon dry mustard
- ¼ Teaspoon salt
- ⅛ Teaspoon Tabasco
- Grate cheddar cheese into large mixing bowl. Add crumbled Roquefort. Put garlic through a press; add to cheeses with 1/2 cup of the Coca-Cola and remaining ingredients. Beat with electric mixer on low speed until blended. Gradually add remaining Coca-Cola, then beat on high speed until mixture is fairly smooth, light and fluffy. Pack into covered container. Chill. Best if refrigerated overnight.
Makes about 3 cups. This dip keeps very well for a week or more.
- Vegetable oil cooking spray
- 1 lb grilling steak
- 1 cup whole baby carrots, cut into thin strips
- 4 oz fresh snow peas, cut into thin strips
- 1 medium onion, cut in half and sliced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tbsp minced fresh ginger root
- 1 box Beef Broth
- 1 tbsp reduced sodium soy sauce,
- 1/4 tsp red pepper flakes
- 2 cups hot cooked jasmine rice or Chinese-style noodles, cooked without salt
- Spray a 12″ (30 cm) skillet with cooking oil spray. Heat over medium-high heat for 1 minute. Add beef and cook until beef is well browned,stirring often. Remove beef from skillet with slotted spoon.
- Add carrots,peas,onion,garlic and ginger to skillet. Cook and stir until vegetables are tender-crisp.
- Stir broth,soy sauce,red pepper flakes into skillet. Heat to a boil. Return beef to skillet and reduce heat to low. Cook for 5 minutes.
- Spoon 1/3 cup (75 mL) rice into each of 6 serving bowls. Divide soup mixture among bowls.
For a change of pace from regular rice,give jasmine rice a try. This type of rice,from Thailand,is aromatic and has a unique nut-like flavour.
- 1 pound ground turkey
- 1 medium onion – chopped
- 1 4 oz can sliced mushrooms – drained
- 1 clove garlic — minced or 1/8 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 6 oz can tomato paste
- 1/2 cup white cooking wine
- 1 tablespoon chopped parsley
1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pickling spices
4 whole peppercorns
Cream Sauce with Yogurt
1 tablespoon butter or margarine
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/3 cup milk
- 1 egg — slightly beaten
- 1/2 cup unflavored yogurt
- dash ground nutmeg
Makes approximately 8 tacos
- Brown turkey and onion in skilllet over medium heat. In Crock-Pot, combine turkey, onion, mushrooms, garlic, tomato paste, cooking wine, parsley, and salt.
- Tie pickling spices and pepperconrs ina cheesecloth bag or tea ball.
- Add to the Crock-Pot; cover and cook on Low 4 to 5 hours. Remove spice bag.
- Prepare C ream Sauce as directed below. Spoon 1/4 cup turkey misture into each taco shell. Top with Cream Sauce.
- In small saucepan, melt butter; stir in flour and salt. Gradually add milk, stirring continuously. Cook over low heat until thickened. Remove from heat.
- In small bowl, combine egg,yogurt, and nutmeg. Stir into hot mixture. Return to heat and cook over low heat for 1 minute, stirring continuously.