For those times when you can’t get to the International House of Pancakes
- 1 1/2 cups strawberries, hulled and sliced
- 2 tablespoons seedless strawberry jam
- 11/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 11/4 cups buttermilk
- 1 large egg
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- Pinch of salt
- 2 cups chopped frozen cheesecake
- Cooking spray
- Butter, confectioners’ sugar or whipped cream, for topping (optional)
- Mix the strawberries, jam and 2 tablespoons warm water in a bowl; set aside. Preheat the oven to 200 degrees F.
- Pulse the flour, buttermilk, egg, vegetable oil, granulated sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt in a blender until smooth. Transfer to a bowl and stir in the cheesecake pieces, keeping them whole.
- Coat a large nonstick skillet or griddle with cooking spray and heat over medium heat. Working in batches, pour about 1/4 cup batter into the skillet for each pancake. Cook until bubbly on top, about 4 minutes, then flip and cook until the other side is golden brown, about 2 more minutes. Transfer the finished pancakes to a baking sheet and keep warm in the oven. Serve the pancakes topped with the strawberry sauce; top with butter, confectioners’ sugar or whipped cream, if desired.
While in Winnipeg for a meeting with his boss, his boss almost ordered Jordon to check out the Gondola Pizza booth in Winnipeg’s Airport. Jordon was inclined to do it anyways but he took Mike’s advice and after doing it, called me from the Winnipeg Airport to tell me how good his Cheese Burger Pizza was. Here is the ingredients for the pizza crust. I’ve made it several times and I love it each time.
- 5 ml (1 tsp) sugar
- 15 ml (1 envelope) traditional yeast
- 60 ml (1/4 cup) oil
- 310 ml (1 1/4 cups) flour
- 5 ml (1 tsp) salt
- 250 ml (1 cup) lukewarm water
- 375 ml (1 1/2 cups) flour
- 2 ml (1/2 tsp) oregano
- 2 ml (1/2 tsp) pepper
- Combine first five items in a large mixing bowl. Stir in warm water. In a separate bowl, combine remaining ingredients. Add 125 ml (1/2 cup) at a time to the dough. Knead for about 5 minutes and let rest for 20 minutes in a warm room.
- On a well-floured surface, roll dough into a very thin sheet. Cut to fit a pan. Make sure the pan is dry and floured. Freeze for at least three hours.
- To prepare pizza, place toppings on top of your favourite sauce and frozen crust. Make sure the crust is completely frozen. Thawing the crust will result in a soggy or thicker crust. The crust should not be exposed for more than 5 to 10 minutes at room temperature. Bake in 450 F to 550 F (230 to 290 C) oven for 25 to 30 minutes or until done.
Restaurant-style pizza sauce
- 398 ml (14 oz) can Hunt’s Italian tomato sauce
- 1 ml (1/4 tsp) chili powder
- 1 ml (1/4 tsp) garlic powder
- 5 ml (1 tsp) dried oregano leaves (not ground oregano)
Mix together all ingredients thoroughly. Chill covered until needed.
Taste Tester Notes: Nice combination of flavours for a thin-crust pizza and sauce. When mixing the dough, it will seem like there is excess flour, but as you knead it the flour will all be worked in. This makes enough dough for two 12-inch pizzas and more than enough sauce for both. As it is important to bake crust from frozen state, have all of your toppings ready before taking crust out of the freezer. Check before suggested baking time — mine baked in 15 minutes at 450 F. I also tried making the dough using half whole wheat flour with good results.
Over the years we have gone to Boston Pizza many times and every time we have ordered the Bandera Pizza Bread as an appetizer to start out the evening. It’s one of my favorite starters and I was thrilled to find a way to make it at home.
Day 1 Ingredients:
- 1 c. all purpose flour
- 2 ¼ tsp. undissolved yeast
- 1 ½ tsp. sugar
- ¾ tsp. salt
- 2/3 c. very warm water (120-130 degrees F)
- 3 tbsp. oil
- ¾ – 1 ¼ c. all purpose flour
Day 2 Ingredients:
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F and place rack on lowest level.
- Combine 1 c. flour, yeast, sugar and salt in medium-large bowl.
- Add water and oil to dry mixture.
- Mix until well blended (about 1 minute).
- Add enough all-purpose flour to make a soft dough (3/4 to 1 ¼ c.)
- Dough should form a ball and be slightly sticky.
- Knead on a floured surface adding additional flour if needed (about 4 minutes).
- Make dough into a ball and place in a freezer bag. Get all the air out and close with a twist tie leaving space for the dough to expand.
- Put flour on the counter and roll out one thin crust.
- Spray pizza pan with cooking spray.
- Lay dough on pizza pan and build up the edges.
- Spread dressing on pizza dough with pastry brush.
- Sprinkle with grated cheese.
- Bake for 12-15 minutes or until cheese is bubbly and crust is browned.
Note: This recipe makes one thick 12” crust or two thin 12” crusts.