- 1 1/2 cups (375 mL) all-purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) salt
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) cold unsalted butter, cut into small cubes
- 1 can (398 mL) pure pumpkin puree
- 3/4 cup (175 mL) firmly packed brown sugar
- 1 1/2 cups (375 mL) 35% cream, divided
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 3 tbsp (45 mL) maple syrup, divided
- 1 tsp (5 mL) ground cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) ground ginger
- 1/4 tsp (1 mL) ground cloves
- 1/4 tsp (1 mL) ground nutmeg
- pinch salt
- 1/3 cup (75 mL) toasted pecans (optional)
- To make pastry, in large bowl, whisk flour with salt. Cut in butter with a pastry-blender or rub with fingertips until mixture resembles coarse meal. Use fork to stir 3 tbsp (45 mL) cold water into flour mixture until dough comes together. Stir in 1 tbsp (15 mL) more water if needed. Form dough into a ball and flatten into a large disk. Wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 1 hr. before rolling.
- Preheat oven to 400ºF (200ºC). Roll dough to fit into 9-in. (23- cm) pie plate, trimming excess pastry at edge of plate. Press edge with fork or flute with fingers. Chill 15 min. Using fork, prick bottom of pie shell all over, then line shell with foil. Fill with pie weights or dried beans. Bake 15 min. to “blind bake”. Remove foil and weights. Continue to bake another 5 to 10 min. until pastry is lightly golden and crisp. Cool completely.
- Meanwhile, to make pumpkin pie filling, whisk pumpkin puree with brown sugar, 3/4 cup (175 mL) 35% cream, eggs, 2 tbsp (30 mL) maple syrup, cinnamon, ginger, cloves, nutmeg and salt. Pour filling into blind-baked pie shell. Bake in preheated 350ºF (180ºC). for 55 to 65 min. or until filling is set around the edges but centre jiggles slightly. Transfer to wire rack to cool completely.
- To serve, whip remaining cream with electric mixer until stiff peaks form. Fold in remaining maple syrup. Serve each slice with dollop of cream, sprinkled with toasted pecans (if using).
Tip: Substitute homemade pastry with store-bought pie shell, proofed according to package directions.