Here are my New Year’s Resolution for 2016.
- Get organized. Not just the house (which is under control) but getting a hand of all sorts of things that go in one ear and out the other. So many times Jordon is frustrated by the fact that we talk about something, we agree on a course of action and then I go do something else. It’s not big stuff, it’s just me not focusing on what I need to be doing and I need to improve on it. It’s a lack of mental discipline that I need to work on.
- Hike to Grey Owl’s Cabin (early June). This was on 2015’s list and it broke my heart that we couldn’t do it. We were all packed and ready to go but Jordon said, “My leg’s not up to it”. Jordon never backs down from a trip like this and to see him in that much pain, it was tough. He was right but it was so hard to see him make that call so we postponed it until 2016. The big difference is that we are taking Oliver this year for the hike so we will spread it out over three day instead of two. We should be able to do it in two but in case we can’t, we’ll have an extra day.
- Scramble up Tunnel Mountain in Banff National Park. In the end, it isn’t a big mountain and there isn’t even a tunnel inside it but it’s my first mountain scramble and it’s going to feel like a big deal when I am up there. It’s also a big item off my Life List. It also means that I need to start working out. That doesn’t involve crunches does it? Crap, it involves crunches.
- Drink tea at two alpine tea houses this summer. I know Jordon thinks this is a HORRIBLE idea but I am allowed to have horrible ideas and one of them is to hike to the Plain of Six Glaciers Tea House and the Lake Agnes Tea House. I am going to hike up there with the guys, drink my alpine tea and if they complain, I am going to whack them with my hiking pole. That may be my favorite resolution on this list. You decide if I mean drinking tea or hitting the guys with a pole.
- Get more sleep. Ever since I was a kid, I loved staying up super late. I am now 46. It isn’t cool anymore but I still do it. So many times I find myself waking up in a chair late at night because instead of going to bed, I decided to stay up for some reason. Except I don’t stay up. I start to snore and then Jordon goes to bed and occasionally leaves me there. There isn’t anything wrong with being in bed by 10:00 p.m. by my age. I need to do it so I have more energy the next day.
- Take about a dozen Saskatchewan hikes in 2016. We hiked several great trails last year and were foiled by a few late in the season. This year we plan to do more.
- More time with my Olympus OM-D E-M10 II camera this year. I have some great lenses, strap, and a camera. I want to spend more time mastering it. The plan is to post at least 200 photos here and at Bridge City in 2016. I’d like to post 1000 at Flickr.