- 3 ea Tomatoes; Medium, *
- 1/2 c Green Onions w/tops; Sliced
- 1/2 c Green Bell Pepper; Chopped
- 2 tb Lime Juice; Or To Taste
- 2 tb Cilantro; Fresh, Snipped
- 1 tb Jalapeno Chile; Finely Chop
- 1 ts Garlic; Finely Chopped
- 1/2 ts Salt
* Tomatoes should be seeded and chopped (about 3 cups total)
Mix all ingredients.
- Makes about 3 1/2 cups Salsa.
The subtle flavor of the curry compliments the fresh flavor of the shrimp very well in this quick and easy recipe.
- 2 tb Oil
- 3 Minced Garlic Cloves
- 8 oz Shrimp, Shelled & Deveined
- 1 ts Curry Powder
- 2 tb Fish Sauce (Nam Pla)
- 1 tb Oyster Sauce
- 1 1/2 tb Sugar
- 1/4 c Slivered Green Bell Pepper
- 1/4 c Slivered Red Bell Pepper
- 1/4 c Sweet Basil Leaves
- 1/4 c Sliced Onions
- Heat a large skillet and add the oil, garlic and shrimp. Saute for 1 minute. Add all the other ingredients and cook for 2 minutes.
- Serve with steamed jasmine rice.
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 each red and green bell pepper, thinly sliced
- ½ habanero pepper, minced
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1-1/4 lb (625 g) lean ground beef
- 1 tsp (5 mL) dried oregano (preferably Mexican)
- ½ tsp (2 mL) ground cumin
- 1 piece (2 inches/5 cm long) cinnamon stick
- ¼ cup (60 mL) dry sherry
- 1 can (28 ounces/796 mL) tomatoes, with juice
- ½ cup (125 mL) dark raisins
- 12 large pimiento-stuffed green olives, sliced
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 2 hard-boiled eggs, chopped
- Finely chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
- In a large, heavy frying pan, heat oil over medium heat and cook onion, bell peppers, habanero pepper and garlic, stirring, for a minute. Cover, reduce heat to low, and cook until vegetables are very soft, about 10 minutes.
- Raise heat to medium-high, add beef, breaking it up with a fork, and cook until it is no longer pink, about five minutes. Add oregano, cumin and cinnamon stick and cook, stirring, for one minute. Add sherry and cook, stirring, until almost all the liquid has evaporated, about two minutes.
- Add tomatoes and juice and cook, stirring, until mixture comes to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer until mixture is slightly thickened, about 20 minutes. Stir in raisins, olives, and salt and pepper to taste. Cook until olives are heated through, about one minute.
- Transfer to a large, deep, heated serving platter. Sprinkle with eggs and parsley. Serve hot.
Makes: 6 servings
The habanero pepper can be replaced by one or two jalapeño peppers.