- 1 1/2 cups (375 mL) all-purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) salt
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) cold unsalted butter, cut into small cubes
- 1 can (398 mL) pure pumpkin puree
- 3/4 cup (175 mL) firmly packed brown sugar
- 1 1/2 cups (375 mL) 35% cream, divided
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 3 tbsp (45 mL) maple syrup, divided
- 1 tsp (5 mL) ground cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) ground ginger
- 1/4 tsp (1 mL) ground cloves
- 1/4 tsp (1 mL) ground nutmeg
- pinch salt
- 1/3 cup (75 mL) toasted pecans (optional)
- To make pastry, in large bowl, whisk flour with salt. Cut in butter with a pastry-blender or rub with fingertips until mixture resembles coarse meal. Use fork to stir 3 tbsp (45 mL) cold water into flour mixture until dough comes together. Stir in 1 tbsp (15 mL) more water if needed. Form dough into a ball and flatten into a large disk. Wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 1 hr. before rolling.
- Preheat oven to 400ºF (200ºC). Roll dough to fit into 9-in. (23- cm) pie plate, trimming excess pastry at edge of plate. Press edge with fork or flute with fingers. Chill 15 min. Using fork, prick bottom of pie shell all over, then line shell with foil. Fill with pie weights or dried beans. Bake 15 min. to “blind bake”. Remove foil and weights. Continue to bake another 5 to 10 min. until pastry is lightly golden and crisp. Cool completely.
- Meanwhile, to make pumpkin pie filling, whisk pumpkin puree with brown sugar, 3/4 cup (175 mL) 35% cream, eggs, 2 tbsp (30 mL) maple syrup, cinnamon, ginger, cloves, nutmeg and salt. Pour filling into blind-baked pie shell. Bake in preheated 350ºF (180ºC). for 55 to 65 min. or until filling is set around the edges but centre jiggles slightly. Transfer to wire rack to cool completely.
- To serve, whip remaining cream with electric mixer until stiff peaks form. Fold in remaining maple syrup. Serve each slice with dollop of cream, sprinkled with toasted pecans (if using).
Tip: Substitute homemade pastry with store-bought pie shell, proofed according to package directions.
When Jordon and I were in college, we used to love going to Red Lobster for their lunch special of all you can eat cheddar biscuits, soup, and salad. This recipe does a good job of replicating the biscuits
For the biscuits:
- Cooking spray
- 1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon plus 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 1/2 teaspoons sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons vegetable shortening, at room temperature
- 4 tablespoons cold unsalted butter, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 6 ounces grated yellow cheddar cheese (about 1 1/4 cups)
- 3/4 cup whole milk
For the garlic butter:
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 clove garlic, smashed
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh parsley
- Position a rack in the upper third of the oven and preheat to 425 degrees. Lightly mist a large baking sheet with cooking spray.
- Make the biscuits: Pulse the flour, baking powder, sugar and salt in a food processor. Add the shortening and pulse until combined. Add the butter; pulse 4 or 5 times, or until the butter is in pea-size pieces. Add the cheese and pulse 2 or 3 times. Pour in the milk and pulse just until the mixture is moistened and forms a shaggy dough. Turn out onto a clean surface and gently knead until the dough comes together. Do not overwork the dough or the biscuits will be tough.
- Drop the dough onto the baking sheet in scant 1/4-cup portions, 2 inches apart, and bake until golden, 15 to 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, make the garlic butter: Melt the butter with the garlic in a small saucepan over medium heat; cook for 1 minute. Remove from the heat and stir in the parsley. Brush the biscuits with the garlic butter and serve warm.
- 2 Sticks butter or margarine
- 2 cups sugar
- 4 eggs
- 1/2 cups cocoa
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cups flour
- 1 cup chopped pecans — optional
- Jar marshmallow creme
- Mix butter,2 eggs and cocoa together. Then,add and mix in vanilla
extract, 2 eggs,flour and pecans,if desired. Put into a greased 11 x 14″ pan. Bake @ 350 degrees for 30 minutes. Remove from
oven. While cake is hot, spread 3/4 jar of marshmallow creme on top.
- 1 stick butter
- 6 tbsp. milk
- 1/2 cup cocoa
- 1 box powdered sugar
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1 cup medium chopped pecans
Mix and spread over marshmallow topping