1/4 c Skim Milk
- 1 Envelope Unflavored Gelatin
- 2/3 c Skim Milk
- 2 lg Eggs, Separated
- 6 tb Sugar
- 1 tb Unsweetened Cocoa
- 1 tb Vanilla
- 1 1/2 c Low Fat Cottage Cheese
- 1/3 c Graham Cracker Crumbs
- 1/8 ts Cinnamon
Pour 1/4 cup skim milk into a blender container; sprinkle gelatin over milk; allow to soften for 5 minutes. Heat 2/3 cup skim milk to boiling point. Pour into blender bowl and blend until gelatin dissolves. Add egg yolks, 4 tb sugar, cocoa and vanilla. Blend at medium speed until well mixed. Add cottage cheese and blend until smooth.
- Refrigerate until thick. Beat egg whites; add remaining sugar and fold into chocolate mixture. Mix crumbs and cinnamon. Place in an 8″ pie pan. Carefully pour in chocolate mixture and refrigerate. \
Only 105 calories per serving.
1 1/2 teaspoons unflavored gelatin
- 2 tablespoons cold water
- 1 cup milk
- 2 squares unsweetened chocolate — shaved (1-oz)
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups whipping cream – whipped
Mix the gelatin and water, stirring until the gelatin is completely dissolved.
Place the milk in a saucepan and scald. Add the chocolate shavings and stir
to dissolve. Blend in the gelatin mixture. Remove from heat. Add the sugar
and salt and mix until well blended. Allow the mixture to cool. Stir in the
vanilla. Fold the whipped cream into the chocolate mixture and pour into a 9
x 12-inch pan. Freeze until firm. To serve, scoop into large balls using a
spoon and place in tall wine glasses, or cut into squares and serve.
Any leftover dessert can be covered well with plastic wrap and returned to the
freezer to serve within the next few days.
Anyone who remembers Bonanza in its glory days remembers going up to the buffet once the steak was done and getting a big dish of chocolate mousse. Just because Bonanza isn’t serving it anymore, it doesn’t mean you can’t enjoy it at home.
The good news is that the recipe is really easy to make and can be whipped up easily when company is coming over or even for a dessert on a hot summer night.
- 1/3 cup butter
- 1 1/3 cups chocolate wafer crumbs (Oreo Baking Crumbs)
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup cocoa
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup milk
- 1/4 cup cold water
- 1 envelope gelatin (Knox)
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 carton Cool Whip – 500 ml
- Melt butter; stir into crumbs.
- Press into bottom and sides of a nine-inch pie plate or eight-inch square pan.
- Combine sugar, cocoa, salt and milk. Cook and stir over medium heat until mixture comes to a boil.
- Dissolve gelatin in cold water and add to boiled mixture along with vanilla.
- Cool in fridge until almost set (needs to be quite firm).
- Beat in Cool Whip until combined and smooth…using ‘low’ setting on mixer.
- Pour into prepared crust.
- Chill several hours before serving.
*To make a 9″ x 13″ pan, double the recipe for the mousse…and use 2 cups crumbs with 1/2 cup butter for the base. This recipe can also be frozen for later use…and is great in chocolate cups for special occasions.