- Vegetable oil cooking spray
- 1 lb grilling steak
- 1 cup whole baby carrots, cut into thin strips
- 4 oz fresh snow peas, cut into thin strips
- 1 medium onion, cut in half and sliced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tbsp minced fresh ginger root
- 1 box Beef Broth
- 1 tbsp reduced sodium soy sauce,
- 1/4 tsp red pepper flakes
- 2 cups hot cooked jasmine rice or Chinese-style noodles, cooked without salt
- Spray a 12″ (30 cm) skillet with cooking oil spray. Heat over medium-high heat for 1 minute. Add beef and cook until beef is well browned,stirring often. Remove beef from skillet with slotted spoon.
- Add carrots,peas,onion,garlic and ginger to skillet. Cook and stir until vegetables are tender-crisp.
- Stir broth,soy sauce,red pepper flakes into skillet. Heat to a boil. Return beef to skillet and reduce heat to low. Cook for 5 minutes.
- Spoon 1/3 cup (75 mL) rice into each of 6 serving bowls. Divide soup mixture among bowls.
For a change of pace from regular rice,give jasmine rice a try. This type of rice,from Thailand,is aromatic and has a unique nut-like flavour.
It’s a classic stew but lentils give it a whole new taste and make it amazing to come home to on a long cold winter evening.
- 1 roasting chicken, cut into 10 pieces (2 wings, 2 drumsticks, 2 thighs and 4 breast pieces) or a large package of any chicken parts
- 2 carrots, chopped
- 2 onions, chopped
- 2 stalks of celery, chopped
- 1 sweet potato, peeled and chopped, or 2 baking potatoes
- 4 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 handful freshly chopped mushrooms
- 1 cup lentils, green, black beluga or French Du Puy
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1 to 2 bay leaves
- 5 cups water
- 1 cup frozen peas
- 1 cup frozen corn
- 1 tsp chopped rosemary or thyme
- Toss chicken pieces into your slow cooker. Top with all the veggies, garlic and lentils. Season with the salt, pepper and bay leaves. Pour in water and mix everything together to ensure the lentils are covered and the flavours are evenly distributed. Cook 8 hours on low.
- Stir in peas, corn and herbs just before serving.