- 4 ½ cup water
- 3 cup Japanese rice, (Nishiki)
- 1 cup sugar
- ¼ cup salt, to taste
- 1 cup to 2 cups Japanese rice wine vinegar
- 10 sushi nori sheets
- wasabi, to taste, plus more for serving
- soy, sauce, to taste, plus more for serving
- pickled ginger for garnish
- cucumber, peeled, cut into small pieces
- avocado, cut into small pieces
- imitation crab meat
- carrot, peeled, julienne cut
- shiitake mushroom, cut into small pieces
- smoked salmon
- fresh tuna, sushi-grade, cut into small pieces
- green onion, julienne cut
- tuna salad
- cooked shrimp, cut into small pieces
- chili sauce
- sesame seeds
- Stir the water, rice, sugar and salt together in a rice cooker cooker (or cook in a pot) until salt and sugar are dissolved.
- Bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat and simmer rice for about 20 minutes or until done.
- Transfer the rice to a large bowl, preferably with a flat bottom.
- Fluff the rice with a wet wooden spoon to loosen grains without crushing them.
- Pour 1 cup of the vinegar over the rice.
- Stir and fluff rice, incorporating the vinegar as evenly as possible.
- Ask someone to stand by the rice bowl and fan the rice with a magazine while you are mixing, or use an electric fan.
- Add more vinegar as necessary to coat the rice.
- Cool to room temperature.
- Lay a piece of nori on a sushi mat. Press a thin layer of rice evenly on top of the nori.
- Spread a dab of wasabi over the rice.
- Sprinkle with some soy sauce.
- Lay a few pieces of 1 or several of the optional ingredients in a horizontal straight thin line across the rice, about 1 inch from the horizontal edge closest to you.
- Using the mat to make a tight roll, roll the edge closest to you over the optional filling as tightly as possible.
- Continue rolling away from you until a roll has formed.
- Remove the sushi roll from the sushi mat and slice it cross-wise into 1 1/2-inch pieces.
- Serve it with soy sauce, wasabi, and pickled ginger.
Please note that this recipe calls for 1/4 cup of salt but this is to taste; at least 1 tablespoon of salt should be used. Yield: About 10 rolls.
Pizza toppings are mixed and melted, then served with veggie dippers. A great way to eat those vegetables!
- 1 jar (14 ounces) pizza sauce
- 1 cup chopped turkey pepperoni, (from 6-ounce package)
- 8 medium green onions, chopped (1/2 cup)
- 1/2 cup chopped red bell pepper
- 1 can (2 1/4 ounces) sliced ripe olives, drained
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese (4 ounces)
- 1 package (8 ounces) cream cheese, softened and cubed
- Broccoli flowerets, cherry tomatoes and carrot sticks, if desired
- Mix pizza sauce, pepperoni, onions, bell pepper and olives in 1 1/2-quart slow cooker.
- Cover and cook on low heat setting 3 to 4 hours or until mixture is hot.
- Stir in mozzarella cheese and cream cheese until melted. Serve with vegetables for dipping. Note: This recipe was tested in slow cookers with heating elements in the side and bottom of the cooker, not in cookers that stand only on a heated base. For slow cookers with just a heated base, follow the manufacturer’s directions for layering ingredients and choosing a temperature.
Another quick and easy meal. Perfect for cold and hectic winter lunches.
- 3 1/2 cups water
- 1 package Oriental flavor ramen noodles
- 1/2 cup green onion — chopped
- 1 medium carrot — julienne strips
- 4 1/4 ounces shrimp — rinsed and drained
- soy sauce — if desired
- Heat water to boiling in 3 qt saucepan. Add noodles. Cook about 3 minutes, stirring occasionally, until noodles are tender.
- Stir in contents of seasoning packet, onions, carrot and shrimp; cook until hot. Serve with soy sauce.
Another really easy to make pasta dish that any seafood lover will enjoy.
- 280 g whole wheat linguine, uncooked
- 1/4 cup Roasted Red Pepper with Parmesan Dressing. Kraft makes it.
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 jar (650 mL) Tomato & Basil Pasta Sauce
- 3/4 cup carrot sticks
- 3/4 lb. (340 g) cooked cleaned large shrimp
- 2 Tbsp. Parmesan Cheese
- 2 Tbsp. chopped fresh basil
- Cook pasta as directed on package, omitting the salt.
- Meanwhile, heat dressing in large saucepan on medium-high heat. Add garlic; cook 1 min. Add pasta sauce and carrots; cover. Simmer on medium-low heat 5 min. Stir in shrimp; simmer, uncovered, 5 min. or until shrimp are done and carrots are crisp-tender.
- Drain pasta; place on platter. Top with shrimp mixture, cheese and basil.
- 1 package Rice Noodles, cooked or 6 cups of cooked rice
- 6 boneless, skinless chicken thighs, cubed
- 1/2 lb of shrimp, deveined and peeled
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 large red pepper, chopped
- 2 teaspoons fresh ginger, grated
- 1 head cauliflower, chopped
- 2 cups broccoli, chopped
- 3 carrots, sliced
- 2 tablespoon red curry paste
- 8 cups of chicken broth
- 2 cans of unsweetened light coconut milk
- 1/4 cup cilantro, chopped
- fresh bean sprouts
- Sauté the cubed chicken in a tablespoon of oil.
- Add onion, garlic and red pepper and sauté a 3 or 4 minutes
- Add the ginger and curry paste and stir fry that for another minute.
- Add remaining ingredients except the shrimp and cilantro, simmer until the vegetable as barely tender but still have a bit of bit to them.
- Add shrimp and cook until the shrimp is pink. Now add the cilantro.
When serving add the rice noodles to your individual bowl, add the soup, top with fresh bean sprouts for that added crunch.