Some days all Jordon can handle being on chemo is soup. One of hid favorites is borscht. I have posted my cabbage borscht before, here is my beet borscht.
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 onion diced
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 1/2 teaspoon caraway seeds
- 1 1/2 lb beets peeled and diced
- 5 cups diced green cabbage
- 2 white potatoes (about 10 oz/280 g), cubed
- 2 ribs celery diced
- 1 carrots diced
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 can tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon packed brown sugar
- 10 cups water
- 3 tablespoons vinegar
- In large Dutch oven, heat oil over medium-high heat; cook onion, garlic and caraway seeds, stirring occasionally, until softened and light golden, about 4 minutes.
- Stir in beets, cabbage, potatoes, celery, carrot, bay leaves, salt and pepper; cook over medium heat, stirring often, until beets are starting to soften, about 10 minutes.
- Stir in tomato paste and brown sugar; cook, stirring, for 2 minutes. Stir in water; bring to boil. Reduce heat and simmer, stirring occasionally, until beets are tender, about 40 minutes. Stir in vinegar; discard bay leaves.
Check out this rice noodles and shrimp salad filled with veggies that’s made quickly in 15 minutes.
- 3 oz uncooked rice stick noodles
- 3 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 1 1/2 teaspoons fish sauce
- 4 1/2 teaspoons creamy peanut butter
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 2 teaspoons grated gingerroot
- 2 teaspoons reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 2 teaspoons dark sesame oil
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 5 cups thinly sliced Chinese (napa) cabbage
- 3/4 lb cooked deveined peeled large shrimp
- 1 1/2 cups fresh snow pea pods, strings removed, cut diagonally in half
- Thinly sliced green onion, if desired
- Chopped fresh cilantro, if desired (gross)
- Cook noodles in boiling water 2 to 3 minutes; drain and rinse with cold water. Drain well.
- Meanwhile, in small bowl, stir lime juice, fish sauce, peanut butter, sugar, gingerroot, soy sauce, oil and garlic with whisk until smooth; set aside.
- In large bowl, stir together noodles, cabbage, shrimp and pea pods. Add dressing; toss well. Sprinkle individual servings with onions and cilantro.