In Maine you’re likely to find lobster rolls served two ways. Innovators prefer a crunchy, tangy and slightly spicy version of the lobster salad that includes celery, lettuce, lemon juice and a pinch of cayenne. Purists leave out those ingredients because they believe nothing should interfere with the mix of sweet tender summer lobster and mayonnaise
- Four 1- to 1 1/4-pound lobsters
- 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons mayonnaise
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1/4 cup finely diced celery
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- Pinch of cayenne pepper
- 4 top-split hot dog buns
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- 1/2 cup shredded Boston lettuce
- Prepare a large ice-water bath. In a very large pot of boiling salted water, cook the lobsters until they turn bright red, about 10 minutes. Using tongs, plunge the lobsters into the ice-water bath for 2 minutes, then drain.
- Twist off the lobster tails and claws and remove the meat. Remove and discard the intestinal vein that runs the length of each lobster tail. Cut the lobster meat into 1/2-inch pieces and pat dry, then transfer to a strainer set over a bowl and refrigerate until very cold, at least 1 hour.