The cold winter gives you the perfect excuse to barricade inside, cozy up on the couch, and watch some Netflix. It’s also the best time of the year to pull out the slow cooker for amazing recipes like this Chicken Tikka Masala and make it at home rather than order it in.
- 2 lbs chicken breasts, cut into 1½-inch chunks
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tablespoons grated fresh ginger
- 1 (29 oz.) can of tomato sauce
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon Garam masala
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons ground coriander
- 2 teaspoons paprika
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon cayenne pepper (adjust according to your heat preference)
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 cup / 250 ml heavy cream
- 2 tablespoons arrowroot powder (arrowroot powder acts like cornstarch)
- Juice of ½ lemon
- Grease the inside of your crockpot bowl with a bit of olive oil. Set aside.
- Combine all ingredients (except for bay leaves, heavy cream, arrowroot powder, and lemon juice) in a large bowl. With a large large spatula, stir to combine everything, making sure that the chicken is well coated.
- Pour the mixture into the slow cooker and place the two bay leaves on top.
- Cover and cook for 8 hours on low (or 4 hours on high).
- When done, in a small bowl combine heavy cream and arrowroot powder (or cornstarch), and gently stir into the mixture. Let cook an additional 20 minutes to thicken up.
- Finally add lemon juice and gently stir to incorporate.
- Serve warm.
- Leftovers can be stored in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 5 days.
It’s a classic stew but lentils give it a whole new taste and make it amazing to come home to on a long cold winter evening.
- 1 roasting chicken, cut into 10 pieces (2 wings, 2 drumsticks, 2 thighs and 4 breast pieces) or a large package of any chicken parts
- 2 carrots, chopped
- 2 onions, chopped
- 2 stalks of celery, chopped
- 1 sweet potato, peeled and chopped, or 2 baking potatoes
- 4 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 handful freshly chopped mushrooms
- 1 cup lentils, green, black beluga or French Du Puy
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1 to 2 bay leaves
- 5 cups water
- 1 cup frozen peas
- 1 cup frozen corn
- 1 tsp chopped rosemary or thyme
- Toss chicken pieces into your slow cooker. Top with all the veggies, garlic and lentils. Season with the salt, pepper and bay leaves. Pour in water and mix everything together to ensure the lentils are covered and the flavours are evenly distributed. Cook 8 hours on low.
- Stir in peas, corn and herbs just before serving.