Serve the ratatouille warm or at room temperature; as a side dish for grilled poultry or meat; as a bed for a fish fillet; on a sandwich; or perhaps over toast with an egg on top. Using a slow cooker means that you can take advantage of all of these vegetables in season and not warm up your kitchen.
- 1 medium eggplant (unpeeled; about 1 pound), cut into 3/4-inch pieces
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 5 medium Roma or plum tomatoes (about 1 pound), cut into medium dice
- 2 medium zucchini and/or yellow summer squash (about 8 ounces each), cut into 3/4-inch pieces
- 1 large red, orange or yellow bell pepper, seeded and cut into 1/4-inch-thick slices
- 1 large onion, sliced into half-moons
- 4 large cloves garlic, thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh thyme leaves (may substitute 1 teaspoon dried thyme)
- 1 bay leaf
- Place the eggplant in a colander set over a bowl or in the sink, and toss with 1 teaspoon of the salt. Allow to sit and drain for 30 minutes, then rinse the eggplant with cold water. Lay the eggplant on paper towels and pat with additional paper towel to remove as much water as possible.
- Whisk together the oil, tomato paste, the remaining 1/2 teaspoon of salt and the black pepper in a medium bowl until incorporated.
- Combine the drained/rinsed eggplant, tomatoes, zucchini and/or squash, bell pepper, onion, garlic and thyme in your slow-cooker. Add the oil-tomato paste mixture and stir to incorporate. Add the bay leaf. Cover and cook on LOW for 4 hours or until the vegetables are tender, then uncover and cook for 1 hour more to allow some of the liquid to evaporate and the vegetables to meld further. Discard the bay leaf.
Another really easy to make pasta dish that any seafood lover will enjoy.
- 280 g whole wheat linguine, uncooked
- 1/4 cup Roasted Red Pepper with Parmesan Dressing. Kraft makes it.
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 jar (650 mL) Tomato & Basil Pasta Sauce
- 3/4 cup carrot sticks
- 3/4 lb. (340 g) cooked cleaned large shrimp
- 2 Tbsp. Parmesan Cheese
- 2 Tbsp. chopped fresh basil
- Cook pasta as directed on package, omitting the salt.
- Meanwhile, heat dressing in large saucepan on medium-high heat. Add garlic; cook 1 min. Add pasta sauce and carrots; cover. Simmer on medium-low heat 5 min. Stir in shrimp; simmer, uncovered, 5 min. or until shrimp are done and carrots are crisp-tender.
- Drain pasta; place on platter. Top with shrimp mixture, cheese and basil.
The subtle flavor of the curry compliments the fresh flavor of the shrimp very well in this quick and easy recipe.
- 2 tb Oil
- 3 Minced Garlic Cloves
- 8 oz Shrimp, Shelled & Deveined
- 1 ts Curry Powder
- 2 tb Fish Sauce (Nam Pla)
- 1 tb Oyster Sauce
- 1 1/2 tb Sugar
- 1/4 c Slivered Green Bell Pepper
- 1/4 c Slivered Red Bell Pepper
- 1/4 c Sweet Basil Leaves
- 1/4 c Sliced Onions
- Heat a large skillet and add the oil, garlic and shrimp. Saute for 1 minute. Add all the other ingredients and cook for 2 minutes.
- Serve with steamed jasmine rice.