Some days all Jordon can handle being on chemo is soup. One of hid favorites is borscht. I have posted my cabbage borscht before, here is my beet borscht.
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 onion diced
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 1/2 teaspoon caraway seeds
- 1 1/2 lb beets peeled and diced
- 5 cups diced green cabbage
- 2 white potatoes (about 10 oz/280 g), cubed
- 2 ribs celery diced
- 1 carrots diced
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 can tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon packed brown sugar
- 10 cups water
- 3 tablespoons vinegar
- In large Dutch oven, heat oil over medium-high heat; cook onion, garlic and caraway seeds, stirring occasionally, until softened and light golden, about 4 minutes.
- Stir in beets, cabbage, potatoes, celery, carrot, bay leaves, salt and pepper; cook over medium heat, stirring often, until beets are starting to soften, about 10 minutes.
- Stir in tomato paste and brown sugar; cook, stirring, for 2 minutes. Stir in water; bring to boil. Reduce heat and simmer, stirring occasionally, until beets are tender, about 40 minutes. Stir in vinegar; discard bay leaves.
- 1/4 cup (1/2 stick) butter
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 cups whole milk
- 3 cups (7 ounces) shredded mild Cheddar cheese
- 2 1/4 cups chicken broth
- 4 cups (7 ounces) chopped broccoli florets
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon white pepper
- Melt the butter in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Stir in the flour and cook for 1 minute, stirring often.
- Whisk the milk into the roux, then add the cheese and stir often until the cheese is melted.
- Stir in the remaining ingredients and continue cooking over medium heat until the soup begins to bubble. Reduce the heat to low and slowly simmer the soup, stirring often, for 60 minutes, or until the broccoli is tender.
Makes four 1-cup servings.
- Vegetable oil cooking spray
- 1 lb grilling steak
- 1 cup whole baby carrots, cut into thin strips
- 4 oz fresh snow peas, cut into thin strips
- 1 medium onion, cut in half and sliced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tbsp minced fresh ginger root
- 1 box Beef Broth
- 1 tbsp reduced sodium soy sauce,
- 1/4 tsp red pepper flakes
- 2 cups hot cooked jasmine rice or Chinese-style noodles, cooked without salt
- Spray a 12″ (30 cm) skillet with cooking oil spray. Heat over medium-high heat for 1 minute. Add beef and cook until beef is well browned,stirring often. Remove beef from skillet with slotted spoon.
- Add carrots,peas,onion,garlic and ginger to skillet. Cook and stir until vegetables are tender-crisp.
- Stir broth,soy sauce,red pepper flakes into skillet. Heat to a boil. Return beef to skillet and reduce heat to low. Cook for 5 minutes.
- Spoon 1/3 cup (75 mL) rice into each of 6 serving bowls. Divide soup mixture among bowls.
For a change of pace from regular rice,give jasmine rice a try. This type of rice,from Thailand,is aromatic and has a unique nut-like flavour.