- Vegetable oil cooking spray
- 1 lb grilling steak
- 1 cup whole baby carrots, cut into thin strips
- 4 oz fresh snow peas, cut into thin strips
- 1 medium onion, cut in half and sliced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tbsp minced fresh ginger root
- 1 box Beef Broth
- 1 tbsp reduced sodium soy sauce,
- 1/4 tsp red pepper flakes
- 2 cups hot cooked jasmine rice or Chinese-style noodles, cooked without salt
- Spray a 12″ (30 cm) skillet with cooking oil spray. Heat over medium-high heat for 1 minute. Add beef and cook until beef is well browned,stirring often. Remove beef from skillet with slotted spoon.
- Add carrots,peas,onion,garlic and ginger to skillet. Cook and stir until vegetables are tender-crisp.
- Stir broth,soy sauce,red pepper flakes into skillet. Heat to a boil. Return beef to skillet and reduce heat to low. Cook for 5 minutes.
- Spoon 1/3 cup (75 mL) rice into each of 6 serving bowls. Divide soup mixture among bowls.
For a change of pace from regular rice,give jasmine rice a try. This type of rice,from Thailand,is aromatic and has a unique nut-like flavour.
- 12ounces beef or lamb stew meat, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1tablespoon cooking oil
- 414 ounce cans lower-sodium beef broth
- 1cup chopped onion (1 large)
- 1/2cup chopped celery (1 stalk)
- 1teaspoon dried oregano or basil, crushed
- 1/4teaspoon black pepper
- 2cloves garlic, minced
- 1bay leaf
- 1cup frozen mixed vegetables
- 114 1/2 ounce can diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1cup 1/2-inch slices peeled parsnip, or 1/2-inch cubes peeled potato
- 2/3cup quick-cooking barley
- In a Dutch oven brown meat in hot oil. Stir in broth, onion, celery, oregano, pepper, garlic, and bay leaf. Bring to boiling; reduce heat. Simmer, covered, for 1 1/2 hours for beef (45 minutes for lamb).
- Stir in frozen vegetables, undrained tomatoes, parsnip, and barley. Return to boiling; reduce heat. Simmer, covered, about 15 minutes more or until meat and vegetables are tender. Discard bay leaf.
- Makes 8 servings (11 cups)
Substitute regular barley for quick-cooking barley. In a large skillet brown cubed beef in hot oil. Drain off fat. In a 5- or 6-quart slow cooker combine beef and remaining ingredients. Cover and cook on low-heat setting for 8 to 10 hours or on high-heat setting for 4 to 5 hours.