Melty cheese, smoky bacon and beer-battered bread make this grilled cheese the ultimate comfort food.
- 6 slices hickory-smoked bacon
- 4 slices rustic white bread
- 2 slices provolone cheese (3/4 oz each)
- 2 slices Cheddar cheese (3/4 oz each)
- 1 egg
- 3/4 cup pale ale beer
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon chipotle chili powder
- 1 tablespoon butter
- In 12-inch non-stick skillet, cook bacon until crisp; drain on paper towel.
- On 2 of the bread slices, place 1 slice provolone cheese, 3 slices bacon and 1 slice Cheddar cheese on each. Top with remaining bread slices.
- Heat griddle or skillet over medium-high heat or to 375°F. In shallow bowl, beat egg, beer, flour and chili powder with fork until smooth. Dip each sandwich into batter, giving it a few seconds on each side to absorb the batter; drain excess batter back into bowl.
- Melt butter on hot griddle. Place sandwiches on griddle. Cook 3 to 4 minutes on each side until golden brown.
At New York City’s Gorilla Cheese truck, their cheesy sandwiches stretch almost as long as the line-ups and customers go ape for their Triple Cream Brie and Smoked Gouda sandwiches.
- 2 slices white French bread (thick slices)
- 2 1/4″ slices of triple crème Brie
- 4 slices prosciutto (thin slices)
- 1 Tbsp strawberry preserve (generous Tbsp)
- Lay the sliced brie on both sides of sliced white French loaf, then spread a layer strawberry preserves and add thinly sliced Prosciutto.
- Brush with butter and cook in a Panini press for 3 minutes or until golden brown.
Create a nacho grilled cheese buffet by setting all the ingredients out, and letting people choose the toppings they like. Or create mini grilled cheese by cutting them into little squares, making them perfect for dipping in salsa, sour cream or guacamole. To cook for a large group, use the oven at 450°F (230ºC), cooking for about 6 minutes on each side.
- 2 slices French bread
- 1 Tbsp sour cream
- 2 Tbsp salsa
- Tex Mex cheese
- 2 – 3 Tbsp cooked ground beef
- ⅛ tsp taco seasoning
- 1 stalk green onion, chopped
- 4 – 5 cilantro leaves
- 1 slice tomato, diced
- ¼ avocado, diced
- 1 – 2 black olives, chopped
- 1 Tbsp black beans
- 1 – 2 slices jalapeno pepper, chopped
- 1 – 2 handfuls nacho-flavoured Doritos, crumbled
- 1 egg, scrambled
- If you don’t have any ground beef, cook that to your liking first (I just used salt, pepper and garlic). Now let’s start with the sandwich: crush all the Doritos and spread them on a plate, dip one side of each bread slice in the egg and then into the Doritos. Once you’ve done this, begin assembling the sandwich with sour cream on one slice and salsa on the other. Next place a layer of cheese on the bottom slice, then stack on the rest of ingredients and finish with another layer of cheese and your top slice.
- In a pan on medium heat, add some butter. Once that has melted, place your sandwich in, cooking each side until browned and the cheese is melting. You may want to cover your pan with a lid while it’s cooking to help the cheese melt, since there is so much stuff in the sandwich.
- Once everything is ooey gooey, slice it in half and enjoy all your favourite nacho toppings in one glorious sandwich. If you’re feeling ambitious, you can even make your own salsa and guacamole for dipping!