Some days all Jordon can handle being on chemo is soup. One of hid favorites is borscht. I have posted my cabbage borscht before, here is my beet borscht.
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 onion diced
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 1/2 teaspoon caraway seeds
- 1 1/2 lb beets peeled and diced
- 5 cups diced green cabbage
- 2 white potatoes (about 10 oz/280 g), cubed
- 2 ribs celery diced
- 1 carrots diced
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 can tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon packed brown sugar
- 10 cups water
- 3 tablespoons vinegar
- In large Dutch oven, heat oil over medium-high heat; cook onion, garlic and caraway seeds, stirring occasionally, until softened and light golden, about 4 minutes.
- Stir in beets, cabbage, potatoes, celery, carrot, bay leaves, salt and pepper; cook over medium heat, stirring often, until beets are starting to soften, about 10 minutes.
- Stir in tomato paste and brown sugar; cook, stirring, for 2 minutes. Stir in water; bring to boil. Reduce heat and simmer, stirring occasionally, until beets are tender, about 40 minutes. Stir in vinegar; discard bay leaves.
- 7 small potatoes
- 1/2 pound ground beef, fried
- taco seasoning
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1 large Roma tomato, diced small
- 1 green onion, diced fine
- 1/2 fresh jalapeno, diced fine
- 1 1/4 cups grated cheddar cheese
- sour cream
- Boil potatoes until fork tender. Do not allow to get mushy.
- Drain and place potatoes on a baking sheet or in a cast iron fry pan that has been sprayed with none stick spray.
- While the potatoes are still hot smash them with a potato masher. (see photo below)
- Drizzle potatoes with melted butter and lightly season with salt, pepper, taco seasoning and cumin. ** you can let them sit at this point till you are ready to bake and assemble**
- Place oven rack in middle of oven and turn oven to broil. Broil seasoned potatoes until they get a nice crust on them but are not dark.
- Remove from oven. Top with fried and seasoned (use any of the seasonings suggested in the ingredients to your liking) ground beef, tomatoes, onions and jalapenos. Top with cheese.
- Once again place under the broiler until the cheese is nicely melted and bubbly.
- Serve with sour cream and salsa.
Recipe to feed two, but if you have more people just add more potatoes and toppings.