- 2 tbsp (30 mL) salted butter, softened
- 1 shallot, minced
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) each pulled and chopped fresh savory, sage and thyme leaves, stems reserved
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) chicken broth – 35% Less Sodium
- 1 – 9 lb (4 kg) unstuffed Butter Basted, Young, Grain Fed Turkey, thawed
- Preheat oven to 350°F (180°C). In a small bowl, mix together butter, shallots, garlic, herbs and broth, to create a compound butter. Place the turkey in a roasting pan just big enough to hold it.
- Carefully separate the skin from the breast meat, using your fingers. Place a spoonful of the compound butter under the skin of each breast. Massage on skin side to distribute evenly. Separate the turkey’s leg skin from the flesh and massage butter into each side. Place herb stems in the turkey’s cavity and pat the surface of the skin dry before putting the turkey in the oven.
- Roast for 3 hours, or 20 min. per pound. Using the drippings from the turkey, baste every hour. If the skin starts to get too dark, lightly cover with foil creased in the middle like a tent. To test for doneness, insert a digital thermometer into the thigh without touching the bone. Remove turkey from oven at 175°F (80°C) and let it rest, tented with foil, on a platter while you make the gravy. (Monitor turkey’s internal temperature while resting to ensure that it reaches 180°F/82°C.) Serve and carve tableside.
Tip: For easy carving, remove the entire breast, place it on a carving board and cut the meat across the grain. The sliced turkey looks appealing on the platter and better yet, everyone gets a bite of the flavour-enhanced skin
- 1 1/2 c Graham Cracker Crumbs; *
- 1/4 c Brown Sugar; Firmly Packed
- 1/3 c Butter or Margarine; Melted
- 8 oz Cream Cheese; Softened, PLUS 3 oz Cream Cheese; Softened
- 1/2 c Sugar
- 1/2 ts Vanilla
- 2 ea Egg Whites; Stiffly Beaten
- 16 oz Cherries; Pie, In Water
- 1 x Red Food Coloring
- 1/4 c Sugar
- 1 tb Cornstarch
*20 Graham crackers, crushed, should give you this amount of crumbs.
- Combine the cracker crumbs, the brown sugar and butter in a small bowl, blending well. Press into the bottom and up the sides of a 9-inch pie plate.
- Beat the two packages of cream cheese in a bowl using an electric mixer set on medium speed, until smooth. Gradually add 1/2 cup of sugar and the vanilla, blending well. Gently fold the stiffly beaten egg whites into the cream cheese mixture. Pour into the brown sugar pie crust. Bake at 325 degrees F. for 25 minutes or until the filling is set.
- Cool on a wire rack. Drain the cherries, reserving 1/2 cup of the juice. Combine the reserved juice with a few drops of red food coloring, 1/4 cup of sugar, and the cornstarch in a 2 quart saucepan. Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until the mixture boils and thickens. Remove from the heat and cool slightly.
- Arrange the cherries over the cheese filling, then spoon the glaze over the cherries. Cover and chill for at least 1 hour in the refrigerator or until the glaze is set.
- Serve cold.
- 2 Sticks butter or margarine
- 2 cups sugar
- 4 eggs
- 1/2 cups cocoa
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cups flour
- 1 cup chopped pecans — optional
- Jar marshmallow creme
- Mix butter,2 eggs and cocoa together. Then,add and mix in vanilla
extract, 2 eggs,flour and pecans,if desired. Put into a greased 11 x 14″ pan. Bake @ 350 degrees for 30 minutes. Remove from
oven. While cake is hot, spread 3/4 jar of marshmallow creme on top.
- 1 stick butter
- 6 tbsp. milk
- 1/2 cup cocoa
- 1 box powdered sugar
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1 cup medium chopped pecans
Mix and spread over marshmallow topping
- 3 cups chunky-style spaghetti sauce
- 2 cups chopped cooked turkey — (10 ounces)
- 1 small zucchini — shredded (1 cup)
- 6 uncooked lasagna noodles
- 1 cup ricotta cheese
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano leaves
- 2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese — (8 ounces)
- Heat oven to 350 F. Mix spaghetti sauce, turkey and zucchini.Spread 1 1/2 cups of this mixture in ungreased rectangular baking dish, 11x7x1/2″. Top with 3 noodles.
- Mix ricotta cheese, Parmesan cheese and oregano; spread over noodles in dish. Spread with 1 1/2 cups of the turkey mixture. Top with remaining noodles and turkey mixture. Sprinkle with mozzarella cheese.
- Bake uncovered about 45 minutes or until hot and bubbly. Let stand 15 minutes before cutting
Makes 8 servings.
Notes: You can replace the ricotta cheese with small curd creamed cottage cheese.
Time Saver: You can cover and refrigerate unbaked lasagna for up to 24 hours, or wrap tightly and freeze for up to 1 month. When ready, bake refrigerated lasagna uncovered as directed in recipe, or bake frozen lasagna, uncovered at 375 F. for about 1 hour.
As is tradition, I hacked into Jordon’s blog and posted the Christmas and Holiday Gift Guide for the Men in Your Life. Take a look and start your Christmas shopping done early. I’ll be back with another gift guide for the hostess and foodie in your life.
- Turn your oven to broil.
- Steam the potatoes according to the package directions.
- Spray a baking sheet with non-stick cooking spray.
- In a small mixing bowl combine the olive oil, salt, pepper and the minced garlic.
- Once the potatoes are done steaming place them on the baking sheet. Using a potato masher or the back or a spoon gently press the potatoes until flat.
- Using a spoon drizzle the olive oil mixture of the potatoes. Broil for 8-10 minutes, or until the potatoes are crispy.
- Remove from the oven and sprinkle the gouda cheese on the potatoes. Return to the oven for 2 minutes, or until the cheese melts.
- Garnish with fresh parsley and enjoy!
You can use any cheese you like for these potatoes-try sharp cheddar or mozzarella.
Perfect for Christmas meal turkey leftovers.
- 2 slices whole grain bread
- 1 Tbsp. Miracle Whip
- 40 g thinly sliced roasted turkey
- 1 medium cheddar cheese slice
- 3 thin tomato slices
- 1 thin red onion slice
- 2 tsp. non-hydrogenated margarine
- Heat panini grill.
- Spread 1 bread slice with Miracle Whip; top with turkey, cheese, tomatoes, onion and remaining bread slice.
- Spread outside of sandwich with margarine.
- Grill 4 min. or until sandwich is golden brown and cheese is melted.