Some days all Jordon can handle being on chemo is soup. One of hid favorites is borscht. I have posted my cabbage borscht before, here is my beet borscht.
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 onion diced
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 1/2 teaspoon caraway seeds
- 1 1/2 lb beets peeled and diced
- 5 cups diced green cabbage
- 2 white potatoes (about 10 oz/280 g), cubed
- 2 ribs celery diced
- 1 carrots diced
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 can tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon packed brown sugar
- 10 cups water
- 3 tablespoons vinegar
- In large Dutch oven, heat oil over medium-high heat; cook onion, garlic and caraway seeds, stirring occasionally, until softened and light golden, about 4 minutes.
- Stir in beets, cabbage, potatoes, celery, carrot, bay leaves, salt and pepper; cook over medium heat, stirring often, until beets are starting to soften, about 10 minutes.
- Stir in tomato paste and brown sugar; cook, stirring, for 2 minutes. Stir in water; bring to boil. Reduce heat and simmer, stirring occasionally, until beets are tender, about 40 minutes. Stir in vinegar; discard bay leaves.