- 1 cup sugar (I use 3/4)
- 2 eggs
- 2/3 cup oil
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 2 cups flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 4 Tbsp baking cocoa
- 1/2 tsp salt
- Mix sugar and eggs well, gradually beating in the oil, then the buttermilk and vanilla.
- Stir in combined dry ingredients. Sift if the cocoa is lumpy.
- Fill paper-lined muffin tins 3/4 full. Makes 12 large or 18 medium sized cupcakes. Bake at 350F for 20 min. Remove to cooling rack.
Frosting and Decor:
- 1/4 cup butter, soft
- 2 cups icing (confectioners) sugar
- 3 Tbsp baking cocoa, sifted
- 4 – 5 Tbsp milk
- 1/2 tsp vanilla
- corn candy
- chocolate sprinkles
- candy for eyes, optional
- In a small deep bowl, beat butter, sugar and cocoa with wooden spoon until smooth.
- Add milk and vanilla, stirring until smooth.
- Spread cupcakes using a butter knife. Add chocolate sprinkles.
- Add a little more confectioner’s sugar to the leftover frosting to firm it up a bit and, using a piping bag or small zip-lock with a hole cut in the corner, pipe the heads for the turkeys.
- Add corn candy for feathered tails and beak.