- 1 16 ounce loaf frozen whole wheat bread dough, thawed
- 1 cup sliced zucchini, halved, and/or green or red sweet pepper pieces
- 1 cup sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper (optional)
- 1 tablespoon cooking oil
- 8 eggs
- 1/2cup milk
- 1 tablespoon butter or margarine
- 1 1/2cups shredded cheddar and/or mozzarella cheese (6 ounces)
- 2 slices bacon, crisp-cooked, drained, and crumbled
- Bottled salsa (optional)
- Grease a 13-inch pizza pan; set aside. Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. On a lightly floured surface, roll bread dough into a 14-inch circle. If dough is difficult to roll out, stop and let it rest for a few minutes. Transfer dough to prepared pan. Build up edges slightly. Prick dough generously with a fork. Bake for 15 to 20 minutes or until light brown.
- Meanwhile, in a large skillet cook zucchini, mushrooms, and, if desired, crushed red pepper in hot oil about 5 minutes or until vegetables are almost tender. Remove vegetable mixture and drain.
- In a medium bowl beat together eggs and milk. In the same skillet melt butter over medium heat; pour in egg mixture. Cook, without stirring, until mixture begins to set on the bottom and around edge. Using a large spatula, lift and fold partially cooked eggs so the uncooked portion flows underneath. Continue cooking over medium heat for 2 to 3 minutes or until egg mixture is cooked through but still glossy and moist. Remove from heat.
- Sprinkle half of the shredded cheese over the hot crust. Top with scrambled eggs, vegetable mixture, bacon, and remaining cheese. Bake for 5 to 8 minutes more or until cheese melts. If desired, serve with salsa.
SAUSAGE-MUSHROOM BREAKFAST PIZZA:
Prepare as directed, except omit the zucchini or sweet pepper, crushed red pepper, oil, and bacon. After preparing crust, in a large skillet cook 8 ounces bulk pork sausage or Italian sausage and the sliced mushrooms until meat is brown; remove from skillet and drain off fat. Continue as directed in Steps 3 and 4, substituting the sausage-mushroom mixture for the vegetable mixture and bacon.
Per slice: 330 cal., 19 g total fat (8 g sat. fat, 0 g trans fat), 207 mg chol., 571 mg sodium, 23 g carbo., 2 g fiber, 19 g pro.
Exchanges: 1.5 Starch, 2 Lean Meat, 2.5 Fat
EASY BREAKFAST PIZZA:
Prepare as directed, except omit the bread dough and Step 1. Substitute one 12-inch Italian bread shell and continue as directed, baking according to the bread shell package. Or substitute one 13.8-ounce package refrigerated pizza dough, baking as directed on the pizza dough package. Follow Steps 24 and complete baking according to package directions.