Skip to content
- 1 3/4 cups flour
- 1/4 cup yellow cornmeal
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1 1/2 cup cheddar cheese
- 1/2 cup cold water
- 2 tablespoons white vinegar
- coarsely ground black pepper
- Preheat oven to 375° F
- Mix flour cornmeal, baking soda, sugar, and salt into large mixing bowl.
- Cut butter into mixture till it resembles coarse crumbs.
- Using a fork, stir in grated cheese, vinegar, and cold water just until mixture forms a soft dough.
- Shape into a ball and put into a sealed bowl, and refrigerate for one hour or until dough is firm enough to handle. (or place it in the freezer for 30 minutes)
- Roll dough out on lightly floured surface, paper thin.
- Sprinkle with pepper and roll the pepper into the dough.
- Cut into whatever shape you want. Jagged edges add character.
- Bake cheese crisps for about 10 minutes or until brown and crisp.
- Remove to wire rack to cool and store in a tightly covered canister.