It’s a classic stew but lentils give it a whole new taste and make it amazing to come home to on a long cold winter evening.
- 1 roasting chicken, cut into 10 pieces (2 wings, 2 drumsticks, 2 thighs and 4 breast pieces) or a large package of any chicken parts
- 2 carrots, chopped
- 2 onions, chopped
- 2 stalks of celery, chopped
- 1 sweet potato, peeled and chopped, or 2 baking potatoes
- 4 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 handful freshly chopped mushrooms
- 1 cup lentils, green, black beluga or French Du Puy
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1 to 2 bay leaves
- 5 cups water
- 1 cup frozen peas
- 1 cup frozen corn
- 1 tsp chopped rosemary or thyme
- Toss chicken pieces into your slow cooker. Top with all the veggies, garlic and lentils. Season with the salt, pepper and bay leaves. Pour in water and mix everything together to ensure the lentils are covered and the flavours are evenly distributed. Cook 8 hours on low.
- Stir in peas, corn and herbs just before serving.