A hearty and filling soup recipe that you can count on to warm up a chilly Saskatchewan winter evening.
- 2 tbsp butter
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 2 jalapenos, seeds discarded and chopped
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 900-mL carton vegetable broth
- 1-1/2 cups milk
- 3 yukon gold potatoes, peeled and grated
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1-1/2 cups grated cheddar, preferably extra-old, divided
- 1 plum tomato, coarsely chopped
- 1 green onion, thinly sliced
- Melt butter in a large saucepan set over medium. Add onion, garlic and jalapenos. Cook until onion is soft, 3 to 5 min. Sprinkle with flour and stir for 1 min.
- Add broth, milk, potatoes and salt. Boil, then reduce heat to medium-low. Simmer, covered, until potatoes are tender, about 20 min.
- Whisk in 1 cup cheese until melted. Ladle into bowls. Sprinkle with remaining cheese, tomato and green onion.