- 1 ripe Hass avocado, roughly chopped
- ⅓ cup mayonnaise
- ½ jalapeño chile pepper, seeded and chopped
- 1 tablespoon chopped shallot
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 garlic clove, minced or pushed through a press
- ¼ teaspoon kosher salt
- ¼ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 8 best-quality all-beef hot dogs
- 8 hot dog buns, split
- 1 jar or bag (1 pound) sauerkraut, drained
- 1 pound ripe tomatoes, cored, seeded, and chopped
- ¼ cup roughly chopped fresh cilantro leaves
- ¼ cup finely chopped red onion
- In a food processor fitted with a metal blade, combine the mayo ingredients and puree until smooth.
- Prepare the grill for direct cooking over medium heat (350° to 450°F).
- Cut a few shallow slashes in each hot dog, and then grill over direct medium heat, with the lid closed, until hot all the way to the center, 4 to 5 minutes, turning occasionally. During the last 30 seconds to 1 minute of grilling time, toast the buns, cut side down, over direct heat.
- Generously spread the avocado mayo inside each bun (you will not need all of it). Then add a hot dog, sauerkraut, tomatoes, cilantro, and onion. Serve warm.
Source: Weber’s Big Book of BurgersI