Skip to content
- 1 large onion, diced
- 1 large jalapeno pepper, minced (cut back on this if you prefer a milder flavour)
- 3 stalks celery, chopped
- 6 medium potatoes, small diced
- 5 cups water
- 5 whole cloves
- 8 black peppercorns
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 star anise
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1 teaspoon salt (taste to season)
- chopped green onions
- 4 slices bacon, cut into 1/2 inch pieces, fried
- shredded cheese
- Chop vegetables and place in a large saucepan, cover with water. Bring to boil.
- Put spices in a spice cup or tie in cheesecloth and add to pot.
- Simmer covered, about 30 minutes until vegetables are soft and broth is fragrant. Remove spices.
- Mash well or process with a hand held blender. Do not puree until smooth. Leave a bit of texture. You can pulse the liquid using a regular blender but take care when processing hot liquids.
- Season with salt and stir in cream.
- Ladle into bowls and garnish with bacon bits, cheese and green onions.