- 2 Tbsp. cooking oil
- 1 small onion, sliced
- 1 red bell pepper, seeded and cut into thin strips
- 2 tsp. fresh ginger, peeled and minced
- 2 garlic clove, minced
- 3 Tbsp. Thai green curry paste (could also use red or yellow Thai curry paste)
- 1 can (13 1/2 fl. oz./420 ml) unsweetened coconut milk
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 2 Tbsp. Asian fish sauce
- 10-12 spears asparagus, blanched and trimmed in to 2-3-inch pieces
- Cooked or raw shrimp, thawed and trimmed of tails
- Thai or regular basil leaves
- 1 lime, cut into wedges
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Blanch asparagus: Place flat on a plate and cover with plastic wrap. Microwave for 60-90 seconds. Allow to cool slightly, then cut into 2 – 3-inch pieces. Alternately, you can boil a bit of water over high heat in your wok and blanch asparagus for a minute or two in the water. Remove to cool, then cut. Discard water and continue with rest of recipe.
- Heat oil in wok or deep skillet over medium-high heat. Add onion and bell pepper (if using raw shrimp, add now as well). Cook, stirring, until they soften. Add ginger and garlic and cook for another 30-45 seconds. Add curry paste and cook, stirring for 30-45 seconds. Add a few tablespoons of the cream from the top of the coconut milk and cook, stirring another 30 seconds. Add remainder of can of coconut milk, chicken broth and fish sauce. Add blanched and chopped asparagus and allow mixture to bubble away, stirring occasionally, for 3 minutes or so. Finally, add cooked shrimp and cook another few minutes to warm shrimp. Taste and add salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve, garnished with basil leaves and with a lime wedge for drizzling. Lovely serve with rice or over rice noodles.