An unbelievable rich twist on au gratin potatoes, this casserole develops a caramelized, cheesy, roasted-garlic crust as it bakes.
- 3 pounds red potatoes, peeled and sliced
- 6 ounces Gouda cheese, shredded, divided
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 5 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 1/2 cups heavy cream
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees F (165 degrees C). Lightly grease a 9×13 inch baking dish.
- In the prepared dish layer 1/2 of the potatoes, 1/2 of the cheese, then the remaining potatoes.
- Melt the butter in a small skillet over medium heat. Saute garlic until fragrant and golden brown; pour over potatoes.
- Combine cream, salt and pepper; pour evenly over potatoes and sprinkle with remaining cheese.
- Bake in preheated oven for 75 minutes. Serve immediately.