This makes a nice change from the same old breakfast routine that I find myself falling into. I make up two different batches and kept the jalapeño pepper out of the one I give Oliver.
- 8 eggs
- 1/4 tsp (1 mL) pepper
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) butter
- 1/4 tsp (1 mL) salt
- 1 tsp (5 mL) olive oil
- 1/2 red onion, diced
- 1 small sweet red pepper, diced
- 1 jalapeño pepper, seeded and diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/4 tsp (1 mL) ground cumin
- 1/4 tsp (1 mL) ground coriander
- 1/4 tsp (1 mL) chili powder
- 1 cup (250 mL) rinsed drained canned black beans
- 8 small (7-inch/18 cm) whole wheat tortillas
- 3/4 cup (175 mL) shredded Cheddar cheese
- 2 green onions, finely chopped
- Whisk eggs with pepper. In skillet, melt butter over medium-low heat; cook eggs, stirring, just until softly set but still slightly runny, about 12 minutes. Sprinkle with pinch of the salt.
- Meanwhile, in separate skillet, heat oil over medium heat; cook red onion, stirring occasionally, until beginning to soften, about 4 minutes.
- Stir in red pepper, jalapeño pepper, garlic, cumin, coriander, chili powder and remaining salt; cook, stirring occasionally, until softened, about 4 minutes. Stir in beans; cook until heated through, about 2 minutes. Stir into eggs.
- Fill each tortilla with 1/2 cup egg mixture, heaping 1 tbsp Cheddar cheese and sprinkle of green onions.