Between those spicy chicken wings and guacamole, you need to make room on the Grey Cup snack table for some spicy queso dip. What better time is there to indulge in this creamy, cheesy appetizer than between downs of the biggest football game of the year?
Makes 3 cups
- 5 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 5 tablespoons all purpose flour
- 2 cups whole milk
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup pico de gallo, strained from liquid
- 4-ounce can diced green chilies
- 2 tablespoons cilantro, chopped
- In a sauce pot on medium-high heat, melt butter. Whisk flour with butter and cook for 1 minute. Slowly whisk in milk. Stir occasionally until mixture thickens. Turn heat to low, and add cheese. Whisk until smooth. Stir in salt, pepper, pico de gallo, chilies and cilantro. Keep warm on low heat.
Can be used as a dip or pour over nachos.