This is good with a variety of pastas but it’s soul mate is this lasagna.
- 2 tbsp butter
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 1 large carrot, finely chopped
- 2 stalks celery, finely chopped
- 500 g lean ground beef
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 cup milk
- 1 cup white wine
- 2 660-mL jars tomato passata
- MELT butter in a large heavy pot over medium. Add onion, carrot and celery. Cook, stirring occasionally, until soft, 5 to 7 min. Increase heat to medium-high. Add beef, garlic and salt. Cook, stirring to break up meat, until no pink remains, 3 to 4 min. Add milk and cook until almost all liquid has evaporated, 7 to 8 min. Add wine and cook until almost all liquid has evaporated, 6 to 7 min. Stir in passata. Boil, then reduce heat to low and simmer, stirring occasionally, until slightly thickened, 45 min.