Over the years we have gone to Boston Pizza many times and every time we have ordered the Bandera Pizza Bread as an appetizer to start out the evening. It’s one of my favorite starters and I was thrilled to find a way to make it at home.
Day 1 Ingredients:
- 1 c. all purpose flour
- 2 ¼ tsp. undissolved yeast
- 1 ½ tsp. sugar
- ¾ tsp. salt
- 2/3 c. very warm water (120-130 degrees F)
- 3 tbsp. oil
- ¾ – 1 ¼ c. all purpose flour
Day 2 Ingredients:
- ½ c. grated mozzarella cheese
- ¼ c. Thousand Island Dressing
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F and place rack on lowest level.
- Combine 1 c. flour, yeast, sugar and salt in medium-large bowl.
- Add water and oil to dry mixture.
- Mix until well blended (about 1 minute).
- Add enough all-purpose flour to make a soft dough (3/4 to 1 ¼ c.)
- Dough should form a ball and be slightly sticky.
- Knead on a floured surface adding additional flour if needed (about 4 minutes).
- Make dough into a ball and place in a freezer bag. Get all the air out and close with a twist tie leaving space for the dough to expand.
- Put flour on the counter and roll out one thin crust.
- Spray pizza pan with cooking spray.
- Lay dough on pizza pan and build up the edges.
- Spread dressing on pizza dough with pastry brush.
- Sprinkle with grated cheese.
- Bake for 12-15 minutes or until cheese is bubbly and crust is browned.
Note: This recipe makes one thick 12” crust or two thin 12” crusts.